Call 4 Proposals (2017)
Aim: The aim of this call is to (co-) fund projects that will generate better treatment of Osteogenesis Imperfecta (OI).
Scope: A wide range of treatment or research strategies will be considered. No area will be excluded as long as the quality of life of people with OI can be improved in a tangible and sustainable manner. All disciplines that contribute to the well-being of people with OI are invited to join. Creation of alliances and partnerships across national boundaries and medical institutions are explicitly welcomed.
Geographical focus: Global. Principal Investigators may come from any country.
Assessment Criteria and Process:
Applications for grants will be assessed against the following criteria:
- Impact to the quality of life of people with OI, especially how the negative impact on the quality of life can be effectively diminished;
- Clarity of the objective and target group of the research;
- Necessity/relevance of the topic (what will be different because of this research);
- Efficiency and control (project plan, budget, healthy balance investment and expected outcome);
- Fit with the core values of Care4BrittleBones: Positive + Inspiring + Innovative.
The applications will be evaluated by two Advisory Boards, which include professionals of various disciplines relevant to OI, as well as people with OI. The decision of Care4BrittleBones will in principle be based on the advice of the Advisory Boards and is final.
Grants: We will issue one or several grants with a total size between 10.000 and 50.000 Euro. Co-funding from other sources is strongly encouraged and is considered an advantage in the selection process. The proposal(s) selected by the Advisory Boards will be promoted towards various potential sources of funds in our network during a period of about 6 months. Depending on the success of finding funding from other sources, Care4BrittleBones will fund all or the remainder of the amounts from existing funds. A standard contract will be used to agree details of the funding arrangement, including timing of payments.
Submission of proposal:
Format requirements: Max.3 pages. Proposals longer than 3 pages or proposals that don’t meet the content requirements listed below will not be considered.
The proposal needs to be written in English.
Content requirements: to qualify, the proposal must cover:
- Goal / research question in scope above;
- Short description of the project and method used;
- Confirmation, if any approvals are required and, if so, whether they have been obtained (e.g. approval from ethical committee);
- Benefits to quality of life of people with OI (short-term / long-term);
- Measurement of success (e.g. outcome measures, patient satisfaction);
- Impact: What will happen as a result of the study? How will this make a positive difference to the quality of life of people with OI?;
- Dimensions (e.g. number of patients involved, which types of OI, etc.);
- Budget (incl. possible other sources of funding). Note: eligible costs are all project-related expenses (not running operational costs);
- Study plan, including project timeline. Project timeline should include interim progress reports to Care4BrittleBones every 6 months. The project's timeframe should not exceed 12 months;
- Link to Care4BrittleBones core values (Positive + Inspiring + Innovative).
Required in addition to the proposal (not included in 3 page limit):
- Coversheet including date, owner, logo of the institution, location, topic;
- CV of applicant, including publication list;
- 1 page summery for use with potential funding organizations (trust funds, foundations), written for non-medical audience, covering 1) Case for change, explaining why a sponsor should consider investing into this proposal to support people with OI. Make it as “urgent” and inspirational as possible! 2) High level project plan 3) Key information about the owner/institution.
Optional: We would appreciate a short video of 2-3 minutes, where the Principal Investigator explains the proposal to a non-medical audience (OI-Community). The video is not part of the selection process as such and will only be used to provide additional background. It is highly recommended to keep videos simple and straight forward (self-recorded smartphone video). Submission date is the same as for the proposal (= 5 May). The video should be sent using www.wetransfer.com.
Contact for Inquiries/ Submissions to be addressed to:
Dagmar Mekking (Head of Foundation Care4Brittlebones)